Monday, April 27, 2009

[pair]ing down...opus 13



meditation/celebration

Our assignment for the light habitat project was to create something that showed the duality of meditation and celebration. Above are photos of my final project. I created meditation through the soothing color and texture of the papers. There is a graduated rise to the center of my window which creates both meditation and celebration. This central focal point creates drama and energy, hence celebration.

light/shadow

I used different forms of paper to create different light effects. The white poster boards on the corners of the windows create more importance to the open triangle windows, which let in direct light. I chose the lace paper because it had a triangle pattern that mimicked my design. I wanted it to have a delicate look, yet have strength to resist tearing.

transpose/juxtapose

These words have to do with how you orient objects in a composition.
My inspiration/precedent for the light habitat was the cuts of a gemstone, so I attempted to take those patterns and turn them into something more abstract. I changed the orientation of the triangle shapes found in those designs to create something that was my own. This involved moving shapes to be side by side.

literal/abstract

The balance of literal and abstract is something that we have dealt with a lot in studio this semester. We started out drawing inspiration from stories and trying to abstract them down to their essence. This principle is something that I now deal with through all my projects. It's very easy to get trapped in a design that is too literal, which is why we are always encouraged to abstract more.

monologue/dialogue

How objects relate and communicate with each other in a composition creates a monologue or dialogue.

No comments: