Monday, September 29, 2008

A Box for 12 Twigs

For this project we had to make a "box" for 12 twigs using only paper and a binding agent. My goal from the beginning was to create a system out of my twigs. My first sketches and iterations:


I decided on the model with the twigs bound in the corners. This way they were working together to hold the box together. Some more sketches of this idea:

Next I had to figure out what to use as the binding agent. First I just used glue, but the binding agent had to be implemented into the design. I decided to try using thread, possibly in a contrasting color to the twigs and the blue paper.

After this iteration I realized I needed stronger paper. I made the next model out of thicker bristol board. I wanted to see what my model looked like just using neutral colors (white paper and black thread). This way I could focus on the twigs and basic structure of my project.

I really liked the white paper in contrast to the twigs. It made them pop. To enhance this even more I decided to use a dark gray thread. From far away it made the twigs look like they were floating. Up close the gray both contrasted with some colors of the twigs but also blended in.
My precedent was a log cabin, specifically how they build the corners. They cut slots in the logs so that they fit better. I used this technique in the final iteration so that the twigs would stay together better and make the whole structure stronger.


This is the final iteration:



One aspect of the project I really wanted to enhance was the negative space created in the corners. That way when you look inside the box it's not empty because you can still see the twigs in the corners. You can also see the shadow of the twigs which is very interesting.

This project taught me a lot about negative space and craft. And most importantly, make sure you have plenty of time to finish something before it's due because something is going to go wrong!

No comments: