Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dialog

For this project, we had to use our 12 skewers and 12 4x6 bristol cards to create a dialog between two spaces. I had an idea from the beginning to construct two spaces within a triangle shape with a 90 degree angle. I wanted to fold the cards so that the two spaces were clearly defined, with a gap inbetween them.

First sketches:


First sketch model:

This first sketch model shows my general idea, however I had leftover cards and skewers that I needed to put somewhere. The extra ones are basically applied on the sides and bottom.

Second iteration:

Had to use an extra stick to show what angle I wanted the flaps to be. This shows my idea a lot better, however I couldn't get the flaps to stay put so the extra stick in the middle is holding them in place.


Third iteration:

This model was getting close, but it still wasn't sturdy and I couldn't get the flaps to line up in the same angle. I liked the arcade effect of the skewers hanging over the edges. The gap between the two spaces was still in this iteration and I was debating whether this created a third space or not.

Final:



Finally, I decided to bind the cards together to create six planes. This helped make the structure a lot stronger. The dimensions of the cards and skewers made it so the top skewers hung over the edge about an inch. The bottom skewers were about 1/2" away from the edge. This creates a line of continuation and stimulates the dialog between the two spaces.

I used globs of hot glue to keep the skewers in place and to make sure they kept the right angle. I shaped them with the hot glue gun so that they weren't sloppy.

The dialog between the two spaces exists because they share the same space and work together to create a right triangle. One space is much more dominant then the other.

Graphic, two elevations, and plan:


No comments: