Friday, October 10, 2008

Unity

For the Unity project, we had to take 12 4x6 bristol board cards and 12 bamboo skewers and create something that was unified. It could be anything we wanted, as long as the skewers and cards showed unity. To start this project, I decided to fold the paper around the skewers and see what I could come up with. My first sketches and iteration:


Around each fold of the paper there are two skewers outlining that edge. There are some things I decided to change about this idea. First I turned it upside down and liked the shadows that were created inside the structure. However, I didn't like the overlap of the cards. They were just glued together and it didn't add anything to idea. I also got the idea from the critique to put the skewers in between the cards, which would create a space the same width of the skewer.

I made a second iteration addressing all of these things, but it didn't stay together very well. The cards on the top only came out 2 inches and didn't touch. I realized this is what made the structure so sturdy and that they needed to be connected.

For the final iteration, I made sure that my craft was much better. I had the cards touching on the top only on the corners. This way there wouldn't be any overlap, yet it was still sturdy. The final:

Some things I really like about this project are the tips of the skewers sticking out at the top and the depth created on the sides. The 12x12 graphic, gesture drawing, contour drawing, elevation and plan view:


I used the following techniques to create unity in this object: simplification, proximity, pattern, closure, continuation, alignment, and similarity. The skewers in their vertical position create a straight continuous line, even though they are covered for the most part. The cards are bound around the skewers creating a closed inside space. The three modules of 4 skewers and two cards create a simplified pattern around the structure. All of these elements create a strong sense of unity.

No comments: