Monday, February 2, 2009

The Girl Without Hands Artifact


My fairy tale was called The Girl Without Hands. In short, a girl goes through many hardships only to become a queen in the end. Throughout her life, she always prays to God to help her and get her through. I felt this was the main lesson this story had. Another minor theme was that things aren't always as they appear.

When creating my artifact I wanted to incorporate both of these morals.

I decided to make a necklace because that was the only piece of jewelry this girl could wear (Her hands were cut off). Also, the main character was a girl and I wanted to make something feminine. Even though we weren't necessarily suppose to make an object for a character in our story, this pointed me in the direction of what kind of wearable artifact to make.

I imagined dark colors and red when reading the story. I assume this was because of the "dark" storyline and the association red has with the devil and blood. Therefore, I decided to use those colors in my piece.


The back of the black pendant has a silver inside. This represents the faith that is always carried around by whoever wears the necklace. You can't tell from looking at the front, it's only something the wearer knows. This is how I integrated both themes.

No comments: