Sunday, February 15, 2009

Precedent Analysis

Source
Source

Johnson Wax Building by Frank Lloyd Wright, 1936

While searching for a building to choose for this projects, I came across the image of the "lily pad" columns in the second picture. This intrigued me so I decided to choose this building so that I can find out more about it. One interesting thing I've learned so far is that even though those columns are only 9 inches wide at the bottom, they can support 60 tons of weight. I wanted to choose a Frank Lloyd Wright design because we're visiting Falling Water. I think actually visiting one of his buildings will give some unique insight to help understand this structure. This building is located in Racine, Wisconsin and is the S.C. Johnson Company administration and research facility. The building is the face for one of the most successful companies and therefore is a symbol for innovation in America.

No comments: